Thursday, November 30, 2006
ROTC- The Right Path
Ahhhh... for all of the cries I hear about, "What does Jerusalem have to do with Athens?" I certainly do see Athen's issues reflected throughout the blogoshpere of my peers. The overwhelming majority of who seem to have especially taken upon themselves the cause of Indiana Wesleyan University's newest addition: ROTC.While it won't shock any of my readers that I am in favor of the program I have felt a strong desire to weigh in on the issue. Once again, I find myself struggling to fathom how liberal (though they would no doubt want to be called something else as Christians) minds can work. To quote Jack Nicholson from the movie As Good As It Gets when he was asked, "How do you write women so well?" Nicholson responds, "I take a man, then I take away all reason and accountability." I have taken this advice with liberals and found- shockingly- this same premise applies. Allow me to show how this praxis is true in the left:

1. During the last Presidential race we all heard John Kerry stating, "Wrong war, wrong time, wrong place." Then we hear FROM THE LEFT that pulling out of Iraq may, "give the terrorists a sense of victory."- AP, mere weeks ago. Now the left controls the House and Senate and we are still waiting for their wisdom to shine through the "quagmire" of Iraq.

2. The value of human life. Libs love this term. They claim that they are against the war because it is killing our soldiers- hmmm.... okay, lowest causality of any war, ever; we disposed a genocidal dictator; are attempting to give their country back better and more democratic than before; providing more jobs... gee, I guess I'm just a glass-is-half-full kind of guy.Also to be noted: why are only soldier's lives valued and not unborn babies? Sorry, "fetus" (which is, of course, Latin for "baby").

3. The "Legislating of Morality" complaint. I sincerely hope to never hear this inane argument again. What is a law? A thing that tells people what they can or cannot legally do. Okay, therefore, you must believe that it is okay, beneficial, or providential to have those standards in place. Whether you make a law stating that abortion is okay and so is gay marriage or the polar opposite that law is based upon someone's moral compass (as close to a magnet as it may be).

Anyone, with any sense of history would be hard pressed to rationally hold the liberal’s company line- which really isn't a line anyway, it's more like a series of unconnected-special-interest-group strings.

So, now I shall turn onto the ROTC issue. The opponents of this particular move by IWU will gladly tell you that God not only calls people into the ministry to but to be doctors, cops, pharmacists, Wal-Mart workers (oh, right, liberals hate Wal-Mart so not that one), lawyers, and actors. Then, in the following breath they will speak against this "promotion of war" as one blogger put it.

Yes, God would not want us promoting war so let's get rid of doctors. Why doctors? You are promoting sickness, don't you know? Toss out the lawyers- they promote a racist, bureaucratic, system which depends upon people breaking the law. While we're at it we can chuck teachers because you are "promoting the illiteracy".

Personally, I want Christian cops and soldiers so that we do have some sense of higher morality and, maybe, even absolute truth in the midst of situations that may not be in God’s ideal will. The arguments against this on IWU's campus are only another example of liberal irrationality and "educationalism". See my below posts if you want to know more about at all that.
posted by D.M. @ 9:36 AM  
11 Comments:
  • At 12/05/2006, Blogger ::athada:: said…

    I liked/understood your last ditty on ROTC, but I'm still frustrated with the first part - continuing to shuffle all anti-ROTCs in the "liberal" camp, which certainly means that they are for abortion and against Wal-Mart. This division is unnecessary. People have diverse views. It's not either/or.

    As for Iraq, I guess you do see the glass half-full. Most people realize that it is officially hell-on-earth, and if you count up fatalities on BOTH sides, it's pretty disgusting. Simply comparing numbers with WWII (a much larger war, at that) does nothing to convey the horrors (or pleasant wonders) in Iraq.

     
  • At 12/05/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Interesting stuff. I enjoyed interacting with Ben on his post and on the general issue earlier with one of his linked bloggers at reclinerramblings. Mike had said, "Killing for peace is like raping for virginity" and it just seemed irrational so we went a few rounds on that one.
    I remain mystified by the pacifist approach in this, but I am trying to hear it and learn.
    I'll throw in a quick response to the first comment: observing that Iraq is hell-on-earth and pretty disgusting is just fact -- seems to have little really bearing on the glass-half-full business. Since when has war been anything but "hell-on-earth" and "disgusting"? It always is and issues of staying the course or not have to be determined by other factors or we would never even go to war in the first place.
    For what it's worth....

    BTW, I'm a native Kansan -- North Central, town called Clay Center. Used to be a Wesleyan College near there in Miltonvale - that is where my roots are.

     
  • At 12/05/2006, Blogger Mike Cline said…

    Here all this time, I thought I was just a Christian, trying to think on my own--but you've nailed it. I must be a "lib." Thanks for the personal clarification.

    As tired as you are of "liberal" rhetoric, one would think that you would be growing sleepy with all the comments we have to leave you about your black and white lenses. Welcome to the 21st century. There are a few more options out there than either/or.

    Your connection of trained killing machines with doctors (healers), lawyers (justice seekers, sometimes), and educators (teachers) makes about as much sense as falsely including pacifists in the category of pro-abortionists. Oh wait, not that's not true. It makes even less sense.

     
  • At 12/05/2006, Blogger D.M. said…

    May we never again compare another war to WWII for simple sake of avoiding banality. That is point one.

    Two, even Mike and Randy would concede that Augustine has stated that war is a "necessary evil" at times. Regardless of the rest of his argument that would mean that if may be a good idea to have trained soldiers on stand by- not deployed in third world countries by a president who is getting his jolly on with interns. Wars are going to come when you are the top dog on the block and, unfortunately, our enemies have yet to send us notices of iminent attacks.

    It is a darned shame that blood clots and cancers do not alert the concious mind years before their development in order to find a suitable doctor.

    My point is- crap happens unexpectedly. Better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

    My apologies if I pigeon-holed (or rightly labeled) anyone else. Take your pick.

    P.S. I try to keep these arguments on an idealogical basis and not as "personal" attacks against specific persons. However, I will end up attacking groups because of their idealogy. Keep this in mind.

    Thanks for commenting.

     
  • At 12/05/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, Mike. Good to see you again. Just a quick note -- what's with the "21st Century" stuff? Did we somehow discover reality after all of those years of ignorance and incompetents like Augustine, et. al?
    I'm amused by the appeal to modernity you seem to make. So what if it is the 21st century. What do we know about the good that was inaccessible to the 20th, the 19th, the 18th, etc?

     
  • At 12/06/2006, Blogger Mike Cline said…

    Let me just say that I am not a spokesperson for postmodernity or anything of the sort. In fact, I am a bit tired of that label as well and am ready for the next fad word. McLaren and others are already talking about post post modernity, so don't assume I am a model citizen of the emergents or anything like that.

    All I was saying is that things are a bit more complicated than what D.M. Rose would like to think. The black/white, either/or stuff is not needed. What you are saying is well taken--things were no less complicated in the times of Augustine. I am not saying the past is full of ignorance--I am saying that the past is the past. Perhaps they did things better. I love the early church and the councils and all that. I'm into it. I don't throw it away.

    I'm not looking at the 21st century as "better" or "more knowledgeable," I'm looking at it as in "hey, this is the 21st century...not the 6th....we have more options now" (but once again, I'm not saying that our optioins are superior. I'm just stating a fact of timeline).

    We don't know any more good than was "accessible ot the 20th, 19th, and 18th" centuries. But, we do know their conceptions of the good, and we have even more of a foundation to work on now. It's progressive. If Augustine was here now, I'd think he say "My goodness, all the stuff that has been thought up. I'm not sure it's any closer to truth than what we had in my day, but it certainly is a lot more to think about."

     
  • At 12/06/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hear you, Michael, and thanks for interacting (and thanks to D.M. for providing this venue :))
    You understood my objection and answered it well, so I'll leave it alone (almost). Just this, it is hard, as I see in your answer, to find the line between being "progressive" and respecting the value of what was learned across the centuries. In theology proper it seems even trickier. I remember a conversation with Wingrove Taylor in which I mentioned that the EC was far more progressive (literally) in their understanding of salvation than we are -- the whole "ichtic" emphasis on point-in-time conversion. He reminded me that theological understanding progresses over time, etc. and it was helpful. But back to your comments, I'm still not sure "more options" makes alot of difference. Life -- the essential and important stuff -- still is a certain way and I can;t believe our options really make that much difference. (Did I say I'd only object to one thing....?)
    The 21st century thing just pushed a button of mine, but thanks again for interacting about it. Maybe we can pick this stuff up again elsewehere. And I'mglad to meet some more of the IWU friends via the blogosphere.
    RH

     
  • At 12/06/2006, Blogger Mike Cline said…

    I have a feeling I always push a few buttons of yours.

    And I also have a feeling that regardless of what I say, even if we were completely on the same page, you would find a way to disagree. But, I enjoy it. It sharpens the both of us. So keep it coming.

    Thanks for the dialogue. I'd still really love to meet up in Marion some day. I may even be moving back there. Are you ever around?

     
  • At 12/07/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ouch...I'm even tempted to disagree now! :) My wife would say you have me pegged. I am sincerely wanting to work on it. There are things more important than being right, especially if you only think you are (right). (I'm gonna blog about that soon -- really.)
    I get to Marion very seldom, though I'm teaching a graduate seminar there next semester on Just War theory (just kidding). But I'd love to meet up sometime --maybe over coffee with doug and Aaron. Nothing like face to face discussion.
    Hope it can happen sometime.
    Blessings,
    RH

    I'd like to meet you, D.M., sometime, too. Will keep an eye on your blog, thinking about throwing an honest question your way re. minsitry, etc. If I can get the time. Also interested in KS ministry since I grew up there.

     
  • At 12/08/2006, Blogger Kevin Wright said…

    Devin, Thank you for writing, even if it causes disagreement. I appreciate people who are willing to engage in honest dialogue. When it comes to war, you and I basically agree on the same position that war is hell, and should preferably be avoided. What we disagree on are the exceptions. Either way, I hope that we can keep listening to each other and maintain the healthy respect that causes me to call you my friend. Keep writing, even if I disagree, for in those times I learn the most for you.

     
  • At 12/11/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brother, many congratulations on writing a well-formulated topic. A side not to A. Theda, who I am particularly fond of commenting about, and to Michael R. Cline. My brother, as virually any good writer will, simply delivers a dichotomy. This delivery system prevents him having to take measures to incorporate every "either-or" in between available. I mean, come on, that would take up hundreds of pages and he still would miss some people. My point is, stop trying to meticulously point out that he covered only two ends of a spectrum and realize he is not an idiot (only his wife is allowed to call him that). He obviously knows there are not just staunch conservatives and raving liberals; he done-got-that-there college degree an' all. So, next time you wish to attack something, try to make it on a premise of subject matter, not on a dichotomy which are the terms in which practically every philosopher or analyst has spoken for many recorded years.

    Kevin, many compliments on intelligently realizing what my brother is saying. You are one that he has complimented on delivering "intelligent, well-thought out" disagreements that treat him as an equal. My props, my man, my props.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
"Memento Mori."- Remeber that you will also die.
 
Saying what needs to be said but everyone is afraid to say.
About Me

Name: D.M.
Home: Overland Park, Kansas, United States
About Me: I've lived at least 5 years in the last two but come out. After trials of fire and flame we are marching on and if we don't take the world we'll sure as heck die trying.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

After one of the most difficult ministry years of my life I made it back to another fall. I hope my posts find you well and encourage thought and discussion.

Other things
The Trinity. The Virgin Mary. The saints. Peyton Manning- in that order.
From Left to Right
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER